International Nurse Consultant - Independent Contractor
The Joint Commission
Location: Oakbrook Terrace, Illinois
Internal Number: 5503
Seeking internationally based candidates only.
We are currently hiring for our next orientation class to take place in January or February 2023.
This position will work as an Independent Contractor as a Nurse Consultant. Must be available to work four calendar weeks per year (available 6-8 consecutive days at a time)
Provides on-site consultation, education, and technical assistance to international health care facilities and health care systems to assist in improving patient care, quality, and safety. Collaborates with Joint Commission Resources Central Office staff (based in Oak Brook, IL) and colleagues to generate leads, develop proposals, and pursue to close the sale of consultations and other Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International services. Maintains active/current knowledge of Joint Commission Standards/Joint Commission International Standards and survey process, health care and discipline-specific trends and content, as well as established solutions for the improvement of patient care. Serves as Joint Commission Resources subject matter expert for specific methodologies and product lines. Creatively approaches client organizations with solutions to improve the delivery of patient care and operations.
Comprehensive knowledge of Joint Commission Standards/Joint Commission International Standards and survey process required. Ten or more years of experience in health care, with seven to ten years of progressively more responsible experience in senior health care management or quality/performance improvement. Maintains current and relevant knowledge of health care issues and strategies. Prior experience in a health care consulting role is highly desirable. Preferred candidates have performance improvement experience. Strong standards knowledge in applicable Joint Commission programs is essential. Excellent communication skills as exhibited through professional involvement in leadership roles, teaching, consulting, or relevant publications. Written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively present information and ideas in proposals, reports, and presentations. 100% travel required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
Education and Experience:
The following relevant education is required:
1. Nurse: graduated from an approved school of nursing and have a Master's degree in an appropriate discipline.
2. Current professional licensure in related disciplines is required (when required by law) at time of hire.
3. No history of disciplinary action(s) relative to current or previous professional license, provided such adverse action did not result solely from an individual's health status.
Ten or more years of recent experience in health care, with seven to ten years of progressively more responsible experience in senior healthcare management or demonstrated consulting expertise.
5. Extensive knowledge of and experience in health care operations, clinical practice, use of performance improvement methods to assess organizational performance, and current research and trends relative to health care practices.
6. Experience in an accredited health care organization is required.
Skills and Abilities:
1. Maintenance of active/current knowledge of international health care- and discipline-specific trends and content, established solutions for the improvement of patient care, and all relevant Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International subject matter, methodologies, and product lines.
2. Demonstrated expertise in the consulting competency framework (Professional/Technical Competence, Consulting Method/Service Provision, Consultative Approach, Management, Effective Communication, Self Management/Ethical Practice, Business Development, and Professional Development/Continuing Competence) and the knowledge, skills, abilities represented therein.
3. The written and verbal communication skills necessary to effectively deliver information and ideas in proposals, position papers, and presentations.
4. Comprehensive, knowledge of and ability to operationalize Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International policies, procedures, applications, standards, survey processes, and methodologies (e.g., Tracer, Sustainable Improvement, Performance Improvement, Robust Process Improvement, Root Cause Analyses, Failure Mode and Effects Analysis) required.
5. A keen business acumen and ability to effectively influence and collaborate with stakeholders of all levels (frontline to C-Suite) within client organizations.
6. Ability to continually improve oneself through professional development and other identified opportunities for growth.
7. Willingness and ability to travel on a continual basis to all countries where Joint Commission Resources and/or Joint Commission International conducts business and to adapt to varying situations and cultures.
8. Computer literacy in word processing, spreadsheets, database, and presentation software required. Ability to use the internet and web-based tools and resources such as Client Relationship Management and Consultant Knowledge Center required.
9. Ability to lift 25 pounds, climb stairs and ladders, and work in settings in which infectious diseases are present.
The mission of The Joint Commission is to continuously improve health care for the public, in collaboration with other stakeholders, by evaluating health care organizations and inspiring them to excel in providing safe and effective care of the highest quality and value. Its vision is that all people always experience the safest, highest quality, best-value health care across all settings.